Friday, January 16, 2009

Week Two - Day Five

So yesterday I sort of set myself up for disaster - and luckily it didn't turn out that way.
I took an unexpected half day to run errands in the blistering cold, because I didn't want to go after work and in the dark and in the traffic.
It was liberating! As I've mentioned, I need new clothes for next week's meetings - I cannot continue looking like a ragamuffin. You know, I think sometimes not only do we become immune to our fat/sour appearance, but we get used to sort of raggedy, drab clothes, too.

My first stop was Avenue. I found quite a few things to try on, but nothing fit right/looked right. I've been honest with myself about the cut and fit of clothes, hoping to only invest in pieces that look good (or passable in the best way, considering my lumpy shape. I know I should get shapewear but....). I really needed pants, but all I found at Avenue was one green sweater. I paid just under $13 thanks to the sale price and the 20% off coupon I took along, so while I was bummed nothing really fit, I was pleased with the value of my purchase.

Next I hit up TJ Maxx, which was much better. I decided to "splurge" and get some Elizabeth Arden night cream, because the cost was about the same as Olay or the equivalent at the drugstore ($20) and I desperately needed something rich and good for my face. I also picked up a back brush and a couple of soap items as household treats, just 'cause. Yeah, I could have put that $10 towards credit card debt, but I didn't. So there.

Things went a little more smoothly at TJ Maxx. I found one pair of trousers that fit pretty well, though they are too long (once home I tried them on with wedge heeled winter boots, and that did the trick - no hemming this time around). I also found a beautiful indigo cardigan and an aqua cable knit sweater with a key hole. Both fit well and add some color to my winter wardrobe. I also got a pair of shoes, something that's nearly impossible for me. As I walked through the clearance aisle I prayed for a pair of shoes to appear, and lo-and-behold, they did. It was a shoe miracle. My total at TJ Maxx was just under $99. So far, so good, as I'd budgeted $150 for the entire extravaganza.

Because I hadn't anticipated leaving work early, by this time I was starving. I think I sort of knew this would happen before I left. I knew I had a lot more to do, so I stopped at McDonald's and got two McDoubles and a diet Coke (I knew where to save a few calories, at least, though that stuff is toxic). I braced myself and shoveled the food in like a starving rat.

My final stop was JC Penney's, which was having a massive sale. I ended up with a pair of cords and a pair of pants I need to return. The cords were around $11. I'm not sure if I'll look for anything else at JCP or just get my money back - shopping is addictive, but it's probably best to save the $25 for another shopping trip as I will need money for tailoring and more clothes in the coming months.

So, the scale this morning read 257.0. I was relieved, of course, that that extra .5 came off and the McDonald's binge didn't pack on an immediate few pounds. I'm going to the gym after work today and am also going to try to go twice this weekend. I do feel better these days, and I want to keep it up.

After the plane crash yesterday I kept thinking about how they wouldn't be able to save me if I went in the water - I'm too fat, too out of shape. I don't want that to happen to me. I want to be fit. I want to thrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment